Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1032392

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jun-1988



Ordnance survey map of LAMPITS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2019 at 15:03:38.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Thorndon

National Grid Reference: TM 14846 67242


THORNDON HESTLEY GREEN (off) TM 16 NW 3/82 Lampits Farmhouse (formerly listed as 29.7.55 Lampits and under Baker's Lane). - II Manor farmhouse. Early-mid C16 3-cell main range with alterations of c.1600. Early C17 service wing to rear forming L-shape plan. Timber framed and roughcast-rendered under plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. Continuous jetty to front. 5 windows, mid C20 single-paned casements. Central battened plank door. Internal stack with plain shaft of C20 date. The parlour cell to right is heated by a stack placed against the rear wall. Rear doorway of c.1800 has 6-panel raised and fielded door, architrave and dentilled pediment. Modernised interior. Hall has chamfered cross-beamed ceiling with solid braces to wallposts; joists concealed by C17 plasterwork with moulded borders. Tie beams in chamber above have long heavy arched braces. Studded first floor partition between hall and service cells has 4-centre arched doorway. The present stack seems an insertion of c.1600, perhaps preceded by a smoke bay within a narrow bay at the opposite end of the hall. One stuccoed first floor fireplace with ovolo-moulded 4-centred arch. Roof over front range is a reconstruction of c.1700 or later, with stepped butt purlins. Rear wing had 2-cell form: on-edge joists; roof with 2 rows of diminished butt purlins and arched windbraces.

Listing NGR: TM1484667242


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281363

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing