This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WALLED GARDEN, 370 METRES SOUTH OF STOWLANGTOFT HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALLED GARDEN, 370 METRES SOUTH OF STOWLANGTOFT HALL

List entry Number: 1032424

Location

WALLED GARDEN, 370 METRES SOUTH OF STOWLANGTOFT HALL, KILN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stowlangtoft

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 281231

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 96 NE STOWLANGTOFT KILN LANE

2/128 Walled garden; 370m south - of Stowlangtoft Hall

-- II

Walled garden, 1829 as dated. Red brick walling about 3.5m high; the upper section reduces in thickness with pilasters at intervals: weathered stone and clay copings. About 85 x 30m. On the south side of both the north and south walls are lean-to greenhouses about 40m long (in poor condition at date of survey). Doorways with cambered heads and boarded doors at centre of 3 sides: over the north doorway is a small limestone block with the inscribed date 1829. Slated lean-to sheds in poor condition attached to south and west walls. Most of the west wall was apparently rebuilt in 1862 (as dated.in numerals of flint with the initials HW above in terracotta). This section contains an extensive collection of architectural fragments from several periods. A wrought iron tie rod has at its end a bar with "W 1664 D"; the initials of Sir Willoughby D'Ewes (d.1685). Most of the fragments are of limestone and have good C14/C15 carving; others are sections of C16 terracotta window mullion and finials or chimney shafts more likely to have come from Stowlangtoft Hall, standing nearby and demolished in C19. At the centre of the south wall is a raised section with limestone capped brick piers and a weather vane on a limestone plinth.

Listing NGR: TL9636068524

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 96360 68524

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032424 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 09:51:02.

End of official listing