This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WILLOW FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WILLOW FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1032466

Location

WILLOW FARMHOUSE, ASHFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Elmswell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 281124

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 96 SE ELMSWELL ASHFIELD ROAD

5/21 Willow Farmhouse 15.11.54

-- II

Farmhouse, C15 with late C16/early C17 alterations. One storey and attics; a 2-storey with attics cross-wing added to left. A 3-cell open hall house. Timber-framed and plastered. Thatched roof, half-hipped at right-hand end. Two C18/C19 gabled plaintiled dormers, one with 3 leaded-glazed lights. An axial early C17 chimney of red brick, with a frieze of red terracotta tiles forming a diaper pattern. An external service chimney to left is similar, but also has a sawtooth shaft. Late C18 or early C19 3-light casements. Mid C20 battened and boarded entrance door. A single-storey extension to left of C17/C18, and a lean-to C19 extension to right. Interior: The smoke-encrusted open hall roof was originally of crownpost form: the post has been damaged during later alterations by the removal of the octagonal shaft below the braces, and is no longer in the structure. It has a plain splayed capital with 4-centred curved solid plank braces. The hall has widely-spaced tension- braced studding, and a.blocked 4-centred arched cross-entry doorway. The cross-wing was added c.1600, when basecrucks were inserted at the upper level at the junction with the service cell of the older building.

Listing NGR: TL9923964488

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 99239 64488

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032466 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2018 at 08:27:30.

End of official listing