GISSINGS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1032484
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
GISSINGS FARMHOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032484.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 16:27:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
GISSINGS FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Hoxne
National Grid Reference:
TM1719675286

Details

HOXNE SOUTH GREEN TM 17 NE 2/125 Gissings Farmhouse II Farmhouse. C16-C17, in 2 or possibly 3 phases, forming a single long range. Timber framed, all encased in colourwashed brick, dated on the front by an oval tablet inscribed 'T.M 1794'. Parapet gable to left. Concrete pantiles on roof. 2 storeys and attic. A range of 4 widely-spaced windows, old 3- light casements under segmental arches. To the left a lobby entrance: 4-panel door and gabled porch, the upper part with open timberwork and wavy bargeboards. To right a mid C20 door and bracketed lean-to hood. Internal stack with plain shaft; external stack set against rear wall. Internally much of the structure is papered over. Good C16 planked partition with moulded muntins, dividing hall from cross-passage. Adjacent service cross-partition removed. Plain but substantial joists in service cell, with evidence for a ladder stair. Ovolo bridging beam in parlour. Roof over parlour has clasped and butt purlins with cranked wind bracing. Over the hall and service cell there are diminished stepped butt purlins, a later C17 re-roofing. Beyond the original service cell the house has been extended by 2 bays, perhaps c.1700.

Listing NGR: TM1719675286

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281066
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/11850/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr T. P. C. Bramer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].