Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032503.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 15:58:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


HOXNE CROSS STREET TM 17 NE 8/68 Abbey View GV II House. Late C15 with mid C17 rear wing forming L-shape plan. Alterations of c.1600, c.1700 and c.1924. Timber framed, the facade and gable ends encased in red brick c.1924 with white brick dressings at the angles. Plastered to rear. Roof has double Roman tiles to front and pantiles to rear. 2 storeys and attic. A former open hall house of 3-cell form. 3 windows, 3-light casements under segmental lintols. 2 C17 mullioned windows have been opened out to the rear. Lobby entrance with mid C20 6-panel door and open lean-to porch. Internal stack. 2 further stacks to rear wing, one at the gable end. An intact frame in 4 bays, with almost straight arched braces. Evidence for original diamond-mullioned windows. Cambered tie beam over former open hall has evidence for crown-post. The parlour, entered by an original 4-centre arched doorway, has substantial plain joists, perhaps a replacement ceiling of C16 date. In c.1600 the hall was floored over with an axial bridging beam and chamfered joists, a stack being inserted into the upper bay at the same time. Intact hall fireplace with evidence for lining of the mortar joists. In c.1700 the walls were raised over one metre although the present roof is of c.1924. Oak newel stair in 2 flights. Parlour chamber has duck's nest grate of c.1800. 2-cell mid C17 wing to rear was probably a separate dwelling: ceilings with plain joists; original open ground floor fireplace.

Listing NGR: TM1824776329


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/11431/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian R. Faulkner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].