HIGH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1032510

Date first listed: 14-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: HIGH HOUSE, GREEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:03:13.

Location

Statutory Address: HIGH HOUSE, GREEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Hoxne

National Grid Reference: TM1809477377

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOXNE GREEN STREET TM 17 NE 7/84 High House GV II House. Circa 1500. Timber framed and plastered with a plaintiled roof. 2 storeys and attic. Casement windows, some with small panes. C19 single storey shallow-pitched gabled entrance addition set forward, weatherboarded C19 6-panel door, the upper 2 panels glazed. Internal stack. The house was built with an upper floor throughout, although the stack is clearly a later insertion into the cross-passage, one of the tie beams being moved to accommodate it. At the right gable end, evidence for an original 2-light shop window and doorway. This end of the house has an original cellar. Some substantial first floor studding. In the front wall, part of an original window with heavy square mullions; one diamond-mullioned window in rear wall. Over the hall chamber is a steeply cambered tie beam with mortice for a crown- post. Original roof replaced c.1600, probably when the attic was made. Newel stairs (2 flights). During renovations in 1986, work to a small section of the right gable end at first floor level revealed a panel of decorative framing, with 4 reverse-curved braces forming a diamond pattern. This was subsequently re-covered by plaster.

Listing NGR: TM1809477377

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281025

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing