CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1032540
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032540.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:15:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Horham
National Grid Reference:
TM 21033 72446

Details

HORHAM THE STREET TM 27 SW 5/53 Church of St Mary 29.7.55 GV II* Parish church. Medieval; the chancel was largely rebuilt 1879-81. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings, the nave plastered. The tower is faced in knapped flint with stone admixture. Slated roof to nave, zig-zag interlocking tiles to chancel. Fine square tower of c.1500, with 3 stages and a crenellated parapet. The parapet has good panelled flushwork and carved stone shields. The plinth and diagonal buttresses also have flushwork., Moulded west doorway with hoodmould and carved spandrels; original doors. Above is a 3-light window and higher up a small 2-light window with carved label stops. 3 faces have paired 2-light belfry openings; the south face has a single 3-light opening placed to one side of the stair turret. Beneath all the belfry lights are square flushwork panels. Core of nave is probably C12, the walls raised at a later date. C12 north and south doorways, that to the south with 2 orders of shafts, scalloped capitals and a roll and zig-zag in the arch. Simpler north doorway (blocked) with one shaft, scalloped capitals and a roll-moulded arch. 3-bay nave and 2- bay chancel, both with restored C15 square-headed 2-light windows. Priest's doorway. 4-light east window in Decorated style, entirely of c.1880. Red brick gabled porch, probably of C18 date. Interior. No chancel arch. A slightly cambered tie beam at the junction of the nave and chancel may be the rood beam; the tympanum above is plastered. C14 angle piscina in chancel. Rood loft stair in north east nave. C15 octagonal font, the bowl carved with shield-bearing angels alternating with lions; angels to the bowl underside and 4 lions against the stem. The tapering cover may be contemporary but is much restored. Good carved hexagonal pulpit with bracketed bookboard; this was originally a 2-decker and is dated by the adjacent panel, once the backboard, which is inscribed 'NOVE 29 1631'. Nave seating includes 13 C15 benches with poppyhead ends enriched with buttressing and fleurons; other C15 benches have plain poppyhead ends; all have later backs. 6 benches are of C16-C17 date, with stylised poppyheads and linenfold carving on the backs. Panelled infilling to tower arch; behind is an early C17 turned balustrade, perhaps once the altar rails. South west nave window contains many re-set fragments of medieval stained glass.

Listing NGR: TM2103372446

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280994
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00458/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barry Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].