Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032627.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 00:49:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 94681 57005


FELSHAM CHURCH ROAD TL 95 NW 2/40 Church of St Peter - 15.11.54 GV II* Parish church, medieval. Restored 1872. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south porches. Flint rubble with freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables; the nave has parapets. Mainly late C14 work: 4-stage tower with traceried belfry windows. Moulded west doorway has a hoodmould with grotesque corbels, and above is a window with dagger tracery. Several good C14 2-light side windows in nave and chancel, and simply moulded north and south doorways. A prominent north porch added c.1500 with good quality details. Completely covered in flushwork: chequerwork at the sides and in trefoil-headed panels at the front and to the buttresses. A pair of north buttresses with sunk traceried panels beneath buttressed and canopied image niches. Each contains a carved stool and fan-vaulted coving; and an identical niche is set above the doorway. The doorway has square flowers and grotesques and crowns in casement mouldings, and the hoodmould has lions beneath and a square label with shields and leaf carving. Large traceried porch side windows and moulded archbraced roof. Interior: wide C14 chancel arch. An unusual font; the octagonal bowl and stem of c.1500 with tracery and supporting angels is set upon the bowl of the previous mid C14 font bowl. This has been cut down, but the upper half of the sunk panels have traceried heads and various carved figures. Major remodelling of 1872 included rebuilding of nave and chancel roofs and refurnishing throughout. Arms of George III over south doorway.

Listing NGR: TL9468157005


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/14902/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Maxwell Newport. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].