This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BOTESDALE LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOTESDALE LODGE

List entry Number: 1032642

Location

BOTESDALE LODGE, THE COMMON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Botesdale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 280725

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOTESDALE THE COMMON TM 07 NE 2/4 Botesdale Lodge 29.7.55 (formerly listed under Botesdale Green) -- II Large house. Mid C16 in 2 phases, extended c.1810 for T. Cay. Timber frame, plastered. White brick additions. Steeply pitched plaintiled roofs, roof to front block not visible. Earlier builds form an L with 2 ranges of 2 cells each, 5 bay front block with 2 bays to rear all added as an interlocking L to form an irregular rectangle on plan. All 2 storeys. Early C19 facade has central entrance bay breaking forward, glazed segmentally pointed entrance arch with hoodmould; inner door, pilaster strips. Outer bays have tall 2- light glazing bar casements with cusped Gothic heads, hoodmoulds. First floor cross casements with hood moulds; plat bands, coped parapet, outer pilaster strips. 1 bay returns with pilaster strips. Stacks to rear between outer bays, that to left is larger with early base in C16 2 cell range. To left of centre a 9-panel studded cross entry door above which a shield of arms of Trinity College, Cambridge; 3 light casements, central on ridge an octagonal bellcote with a weather vane finial; some exposed roof timbers, single side purlins with cranked arched windbraces. Returning to rear parallel with front block is second early range, part open to rear, axial ridge stack towards first C16 range. Behind front block to right 2 bays linking to C16 builds, sash windows, hipped slate roof. Interior: entrance hall has Gothic corbelling as cornice, swept dogleg staircase with cast iron balusters in a top-lit apsidal stair well; otherwise not inspected. (East Anglian Miscellany, 1923, pp.76-80; RCHM).

Listing NGR: TM0607075148

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 06070 75148

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032642 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 06:22:11.

End of official listing