This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DIAL FARMHOUSE`

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DIAL FARMHOUSE`

List entry Number: 1032672

Location

DIAL FARMHOUSE`, OLD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Haughley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 280598

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAUGHLEY OLD STREET (SOUTH SIDE) TM 0262

8/115 Dial Farmhouse -09/12/55

GV II

Former farmhouse, c.1530-50. 3-cell plan with lobby-entrance. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and pebble-dashed. Pantiled roof, once thatched; an axial C16 chimney of narrow pink/buff bricks. Mid C20 casements with transomes. Early C19 entrance door with 6 fielded panels, the upper pair of panels glazed. A fine timber-framed entrance porch of c.1500, believed to have been brought from a house at Mendlesham. Open, with heavy oak posts at front and rear, and plaintiled roof. The rear tie beam is moulded and embattled, and the front tie beam has vinescroll carving with a carved animal (perhaps a deer) at the centre and a freize of Tudor flowers below. The 4-centred arched doorway has small spandrels enriched with roses. Good quality framing is exposed throughout the house: close-studding with reversed arch windbracing and a blocked window with cavetto-moulded mullions. In the hall is a double-ogee moulded binding beam and roll- and cavetto-moulded joists. Coupled rafter roof. A very wide open fireplace with a deep lintel serves the hall and is probably inserted into the original cross entry. At the rear is a wing of c.1570 with good but plainer framing, and wind-braced clasped purlin roof.

Listing NGR: TM0270662155

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 02706 62155

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 03:58:12.

End of official listing