CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1032741
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Nov-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, RECTORY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032741.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 05:01:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, RECTORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wortham
National Grid Reference:
TM 08357 78806

Details

TM 07 NE WORTHAM RECTORY ROAD (NORTH SIDE)

1/174 Church of St. Mary the 29.7.55 Virgin (formerly listed as Church of St. Mary)

-- I

Parish church. C12 tower, possibly C11; nave, aisles and chancel mid to late C14, clerestory added early C15, altered c.1790 with partial collapse of tower. Restored 1856, 1891-3, chancel reroofed 1904, south porch rebuilt 1908. Flint rubble, some herringbone coursing in tower, knapped elsewhere with some flushwork. Ashlar and red brick dressings, cement rendered aisles. Glazed pantiled roofs. Large round tower to west, nave with aisles and south porch, narrower and shorter chancel with a north vestry. 3-stage west tower with a diameter of 29 feet and 62 feet high is said to be the largest Norman round tower in England, originally possibly a watchtower for St. Edmund' s Bury. Since 1789 it has been open and ruinous. To west a floriated cross slab inserted below a large arched opening above which is a small round headed opening, 2 set backs to top which has collapsed to west. To east a large blocked opening once issuing into nave and 2 upper round headed openings. In upper stage to south a cusped lancet, to north a round headed opening. Perched on junction of tower and nave roof is late C18 weatherboarded bell- cote with louvred 2-light Y traceried openings, leaded ogee cap with a weather vane. Nave clerestorey: six 2-light Perpendicular windows to north and south, brick voussoirs, hood moulds linked as an impost band below which are flushwork panels with initials under coronets and various geometrical designs, short end buttresses to coped gable end parapets to shallow pitched roof. Unbuttressed north aisle: 2 tall 2-light C14 windows, rectilinear tracery with curvilinear heads, similar windows on east and west returns, towards west a double chamfered pointed arched doorway blocked with C19 squared flint, moulded course to plain brick parapet. South aisle is similar, towards east a C19 3-light window, restored windows on east and west returns, a 2 stage diagonal buttress to south west. From west bay is rebuilt gabled south porch, sundial over outer pointed arch, 2 stage diagonal buttresses to returns with 2-light windows, inner double hollow moulded pointed arch. Chancel: to south a central C14 low side door, heavily moulded pointed arch with shafted jambs, above an empty niche with a cusped ogee head, flanking 2 stage buttresses and tall 2-light window with hexagonal rectilinear traceried heads, moulded plinth and cornice to rebuilt embattled parapet, south east 2 stage diagonal buttress. To east panelled moulded plinth and a string course below a large 5-light window, complex curvilinear tracery, coped gable parapet with ridge cross to steeply pitched roof. To north two 2-light windows, one as on chancel to south, the other as on aisles; to north east is tall vestry with twin gables, plaintiled roof, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, a 2-light window and a stack to east. Interior: blocked tower arch, C14 double chamfered chancel arch, semi-octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases, outer chamfers have cusped stops. 3 bay nave arcades, double chamfered arches, octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases. 6 bay nave roof: alternating moulded arched braces and single hammerbeams, collars with short king posts, moulded purlins and ridge piece, traceried spandrels in arched braces to hammerbeams, brattished cornice along wall plates, restored mask corbels, rebuilt lean-to aisle roofs. 5 bay chancel roof of 1904 with arched braces, posts on mask corbels with canopied niches. In chancel: windows towards west have C14 shafted jambs to moulded rear arches, simpler mouldings to east except large east window which also has shafted jambs and an outer moulding, an elaborate stone reredos of 1856 with richly carved vinescroll ornament, panels with biblical texts in Gothic surrounds, to south a piscina with a cusped and crocketed ogee head. In north and south aisles simpler piscinae, chamfered and cusped, rear arches in aisles have simply moulded heads. C14 octagonal font, moulded cap and base to stem, masks to bowl with cusped and crocketed gabled faces, brattished head. In south aisle Royal Arms of Charles I, carved oak oval panel, also Betts family hatchments. C19 seating copies original with poppyhead bench ends with carved figures and animals. Some C18 barley sugar balusters used in C19 communion rails, fragments of C15 screen used in altar table. Chancel floor 3 C18 slabs with arms to members of Betts family, south aisle 2 medieval florated cross slabs. Some C15 glass fragments in east window.

Listing NGR: TM0835778806

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280467
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/11628/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Prof John N. Buxton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].