MANOR HOUSE CHRISTIAN REST HOME

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1032752

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE CHRISTIAN REST HOME, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE CHRISTIAN REST HOME
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032752 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 12:58:07.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE CHRISTIAN REST HOME, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Bacton

National Grid Reference: TM 04990 67153

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BACTON CHURCH ROAD TM 06 NW

1/5 Manor House Christian Rest Home (formerly 29.7.55 listed as Manorhouse Farmhouse)

- II*

Old peoples home, formerly manor house. Circa 1720-1730, for George Pretyman (died 1732). Red brick with burnt headers; a band at first storey incorporating moulded keys above the centre of each window. Plain tiled roofs with hipped slightly set- forward end bays. C19 internal chimneys of red brick and gabled C19 dormers with sashes. Eaves cornice with wooden modillions. A central brick pediment with dentils rising into the apex; in the tympanum is a coat of arms added in 1738 when a Pretyman married Arabella Shelton, whose arms are quartered on the shield, with Pretyman, Garneys and Pistor. The shield is surrounded by a cartouche and a garland of fruit and flowers. Two storeys and attics. A pair of wings 2-windows wide, are minimally set forward flanking a 5-window main range. Tall, narrow windows with flat arches of finely-gauged brick and painted keystones; original flush frames with mid C19 8-light sashes. 8-panel fielded door, architrave surround, fluted Doric pilasters, console brackets, with cornice broken above, and a segmental pedestal. Fine original internal features: a large panelled staircase hall, with concave twisted balusters to the stairs. Several fully panelled rooms, with four overmantel paintings all by T Bardwell in c1720-1730. One is of this house and includes lower pavilions on each side (demolished in C19), garden walling and gate- ways, all removed. Another painting is of Furness Abbey, another a scene from Don Quixote and another of Susannah and the Elders. There are also original pictorial tapestries. Rear ranges of late C19 and late C20.

Listing NGR: TM0499067153

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 280487

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing