This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GOSWOLD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GOSWOLD HALL

List entry Number: 1032759

Location

GOSWOLD HALL, GOSWOLD HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thrandeston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 280397

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THRANDESTON GOSWOLD HALL TM 17 NW 2/108 Goswold Hall 29.7.55 -- II

Farmhouse. Late C16 lower cross wing for Grey family, hall and parlour rebuilt mid to late C17 probably for Rix family, extended c.1820 for T. French, altered C20. Timber frames, largely plastered. Sham timber frame and brick nogging to front, early red brick gable end. Steeply pitched plaintiled roofs, machine tiles to front. 4 bay range with 3 bay cross wing to right. All 2 storeys and attics. Entrance to centre of main range, a C19 part glazed, raised panelled door, early C19 lugged architrave with pedimented Doric entablature. Ground floor left and first floor leaded cross casements in moulded flush frames, some early glass. Continuous dentilled eaves cornice. To right of entrance a large early C19 2 storey bow projects forwards, pebbledashed with 3 similar cross casements, flat roof, an external stack on left return, stucco incised to resemble ashlar with offsets to red brick shaft. To far right and extending forward from main range but not as far as bow is earlier service cross wing, 3-light transomed leaded casements, a 2-light leaded dormer with a pedimental head, lower ridge to separate hipped roof. Main range has a large rebuilt axial stack to right end. Left gable end is largely irregularly bonded C17 brick with an external stack with 2 rear offsets, moulded base to rebuilt shaft, exposed double purlins. To rear scattered C19 sashes in moulded flush frames. Cross wing extends further to rear with a C20 lean-to on roughcast right return. Interior: C17 panelling on 2 sides of parlour, some exposed framing with studding of large scantling, jowled posts to cambered tie beams. Largely remodelled in C19. Service wing has double roll moulded bearers to front and back walls. Double purlin roof with lower butt purlins, upper purlins clasped by collars and halved principals. Moated manorial site.

Listing NGR: TM1241475617

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 12414 75617

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032759 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2018 at 05:55:00.

End of official listing