CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LITTLE GREEN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032763.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:05:13.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, LITTLE GREEN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 11657 76451
THRANDESTON LITTLE GREEN (NORTH SIDE)
TM 17 NW
2/119 Church of St. Margaret 29.7.55 (formerly listed as Church of St. Mary)
Wrongly shown on OS map as Church of St. Mary. Parish church. All C15 except C13 chancel. Restored c.1870-80. Knapped flint with ashlar dressings. All but tower cement rendered. Slate nave roof. C19 blue/green decoratively banded tiles on chancel roof. 4 bay nave with north and south aisles and porches, chancel is lower than nave and inclines slightly to south, north vestry, west tower. Chancel: refenestrated in C15, E window is 3 lights and large, unusual restored Perpendicular tracery. C19 brick plinth, moulded kneelers to coped gable parapet with ridge cross, 2 stage diagonal buttress to south east. Chancel south elevation has three 2-light square headed windows with cusped ogee heads to each light, mask stopped hoodmoulds, a chamfered pointed arched doorway and a 2 stage buttress. Chancel to north has a single window to south with C15 2 storey vestry to north east, a tiny cusped 2-light window to north, mask spout, crenellated parapet, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, to east a 2-light Perpendicular window. Nave has 4 window clerestorey, 2 light Perpendicular windows, coped gable parapet on nave to east. South aisle: towards east a restored 3-light traceried window under a depressed arch, towards west a similar 2-light window, string course with grotesque mask spouts to crenellated parapet, 2 stage diagonal buttresses to returns with a 3-light Perpendicular window to east. Large south porch: outer pointed arch with complex mouldings dying into chamfered jambs, moulded plinth, above entrance a niche with a figure of St. Margaret, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, that to east with a scratch dial, a shallow gable interrupts crenellated parapet continued from aisle. In returns 2 light square headed windows with ogee headed lights, pointed inner arch of 2 hollow moulded orders, an early moulded boarded door. North aisle: 2 windows of 2-lights, one square headed with cusped pointed arched lights and cusped square panels at head, the other of a more usual Perpendicular form, string course to plain parapet, diagonal buttress to north east, straight buttress to north west, returns have 2-light windows with square heads and unusual cusped and arched traceried heads. Short gabled north porch has a C19 outer arch, C15 hollow and ovolo moulded inner arch, an early boarded door with iron straphinges. Large 3 stage west tower: high quality knapped and squared flint with flushwork near base. Double plinth, triple to west, with quatrefoil flushwork frieze, to west an upper star and shield frieze with 3 relief coats of arms, Cornwallis and other families, inscribed scroll naming G. Sulyard of Haughton Park. Lower stage to west has a large 3-light window with daggers in rectilinear tracery, stone voussoirs, string courses to upper stages,3 stage diagonal buttresses rise through 2 stages, seocond stage to south has a louvred lancet, semi-octagonal stair turret rises through 2 stages to north. Belfry has 3-light louvred openings with cusped ogee tracery, string course to crenellated parapet with blind panels to centre on each side, crocketed pinnacles at corners. Interior: chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, semi-octagonal responds with restored still leaf capitals. Tall tower arch dies into responds. 4 bay nave arcades have octagonal piers with moulded capitals, double chamfered pointed arches. Mask corbels in nave support short octagonal posts to nave roof: arms in coving to brattished wallplates, a single moulded tie beam to central truss, other trusses have restored hammer beams all with restored arched braces to collars, no purlins. Lean-to aisle roofs. Chancel roof has C19 arch braced collars. All chancel windows have C13 rear arches; shafted jambs, ring capitals with some braided ornament, heavily roll moulded 3 centred arches, to south a roll moulded string course from window base rises over doorway. Chancel north wall has a pointed arched doorway to vestry. Some C15 moulded rear arches in aisles, in north aisle a niche for a statue with cusped and crocketed ogee head, in south aisle a cusped pointed arched piscina. Nave to north east has lower rood stair doorway. Tower has lower doorway to stair turret, upper C18 doorway for former gallery with a key and impost blocked round arch. A good C15 chancel screen, dado of 6 cusped panels with carved masks, only 4 ogee headed, traceried openings above, shafts formerly held coving for rood loft. Attached are choir stalls; C15 and late C16 with panelled and traceried frontals with figural finials to north, poppyhead ends, seat back to north has similar tracery but with some Renaissance detail in frieze above and in central panel with bulbous, fluted Ionic pilasters. C17 communion table and chest in chancel. Poppyhead bench ends in nave, 4 of which have figures of Saints. C15 font, restored by O.P. Oakes, 1846, on base; octagonal bowl with Evangelist symbols alternating with Tudor roses, angels on underside to stem with 4 lions, original timber font cover, crocketed finial. Arms of Queen Victoria over chancel arch. Hatchments on chancel north wall. Floor brasses removed except an inscription to P. Cuppledicke, d.1619, with arms; reset on wall a brass inscription to E. Cornwalles, d.1537. Simple early C19 tablets on chancel wall. Attached to chancel north wall externally a marble tablet to J. Rix, d.1706, and wife, with arms. Frequents of early glass with 2 canopies in a north aisle window, late C19 east window by Waites.
Listing NGR: TM1165776451
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing