CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1032794

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032794 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:59:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Stuston

National Grid Reference: TM 13461 77857

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STUSTON CHURCH LANE (WEST SIDE) TM 17 NW 2/93 Church of All Saints 29.7.55 -- II*

Parish church. C12 or C13 tower, raised in C14. Nave, south porch and chancel rebuilt in C15. Chancel restored thoroughly with addition of north transept and north vestry in 1860-2. Refenestrated and tower restored 1877-8. Flint rubble with ashlar dressings. Grey Staffordshire tiled roofs, decoratively banded. Short nave with south porch and north vestry, chancel as wide and slightly shorter with north transept, round west tower. Tower is tall in proportion to rest of building with some bricks in flint rubble. To west a C13 lancet with a hollow chamfered surround,above it a small quatrefoil opening. String course to C14 octagonal belfry, irregular quoining, 4 twin louvred openings with curvilinear traceried arched heads. String course to C15 English bond red brick parapet. Nave west wall is unbuttressed with a half height offset, coped parapet. Nave to south has two 2-light C19 windows following C15 precursors with traceried arched heads, stone quoins and voussoirs. Gabled and unbuttressed south porch has an outer double chamfered pointed arch with hoodmould, above a cusped niche with ogee hoodmould, coped gable parapet with ridge cross, lancets in returns. Inner entrance has C15 wave and hollow moulded pointed arch with hoodmould, old boarded door with iron strap hinges, stoup with semi-circular bowl in east jamb of entrance arch. Nave to north is similar, C19 vestry replacing earlier north porch, outer 2-light window, coped gable parapet. Inner entrance arch, C15, as to south with a similar door. Coped gable parapets with ridge crosses on nave and chancel to east. A C19 2 stage buttress to south where nave meets chancel. Chancel is all but entirely C19. To south a central pointed arched door and 1861 datestone, flanking 2-light window with unusual tracery. 3- light east window, south-east 2 stage diagonal buttress. North east 2 stage angle buttresses. North transept has a 2-light window to north gable end, east return has 2 trefoil openings, west return has a door and 1862 datestone. Interior: sharply pointed, unarticulated low tower arch. Nave: early brickwork to broad rear arches of 3 windows, rood loft stairs to north with a hollow chamfered lower opening to upper opening with early brickwork and a restored segmental head, to south a C15 piscina with cusped head and a round headed niche for an image, roof ceiled in C19 with applied bosses and ribbing, C16 and C17 moulded wall plates. Pointed chancel arch in polychrome brick; red, yellow and black, respond caps and bases. Similar polychrome brickwork to all chancel and transept openings. Chancel south wall piscina with a chamfered pointed arch. C19 chancel roof has collars to king posts, applied bosses. C15 font has a simple octagonal bowl with moulded cap and base to octagonal stem. Gothic pulpit of 1861 is richly panelled, crocketed and finialed, Gothic reading desk. Chancel north wall monument to J. Castleton, d.1727, and family: varied marbles, projecting pedestal with moulded base and cornice, inscription, on this rest busts of Castleton and wife, 3 oval medallion busts of children, aedicular surround, fluted pilasters, open pediment on consoles surmounted by arms in cartouche and 2 funerary urns. Adjacent are C17 and C18 tomb slabs. Reset in north transept are 2 late C18 headstones. Chancel south wall plain marble tablet with base and cornice to R. Clarke, d. 1832, and wife, arms above. Late C19 stained glass.

Listing NGR: TM1346177857

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 280382

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing