CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032797 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 04:48:41.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 08242 75599
TM 07 NE
1/1 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Mid to late C14, south porch added and refenestrated C15. Nave restored 1864-5, chancel restored 1872 all by R.M. Phipson. Flint rubble, ashlar dressings, some cement rendering. Stone tiled nave roof, Welsh slate-chancel roof. A long church with west tower and south porch, chancel raised in C19 to form a continuous steeply pitched roof. Square 3-stage west tower: plinth, string course below a restored west window with cusped tracery, above and to returns are quatrefoils in circles, 3 stage diagonal buttresses. String course to belfry with Y traceried openings, above a frieze with open flanked by flushwork quatrefoils, string course to embattled parapet. Nave to south has 3 Perpendicular windows over a string course, 3 ogee headed lights each, 2 stage end buttresses. Rendered south porch to west of centre: outer heavily moulded pointed arch, semi octagonal responds with capitals and bases, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, shallow gabled parapet. Returns have plinth, blocked windows, that to east with Perpendicular tracery, string courses to parapets. Inner entrance arch is continuously moulded with an outer filleted shaft, hoodmould, above an empty brick niche, stoup to east. Nave to north has a blocked entrance opposite porch, continuously moulded pointed arch, flanking C14 2-light windows with curvilinear tracery, mask stopped hood moulds, towards east a 3-light Perpendicular window as to south, 3 two stage buttresses. Chancel: large C19 4-light east window, kneelers to coped gable parapet with ridge cross, 2 stage diagonal buttresses, to south two C19 3- light windows flanking a low continuously moulded pointed entrance arch, largely rendered to north with a C19 2-light window. Interior: tall pointed tower arch, inner chamfer and outer wave mouldings to semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals. C19 crown post roof, arched braces with heavy cusped drops in place of chancel arch, ornate stiff leaf corbels. Restored rear arches to nave windows, moulded band at sill level raised over entrances. Rood stairs to north with a 4 centred arched headed doorway. Chancel: to north a blocked doorway with a moulded arch, to south a C14 piscina, formerly crocketed, finialed arch with Burgate arms in spandrels, a C19 piscina in nave to south. Late C14 octagonal font on a double plinth with a dedicatory inscription, stem has 4 lions, seraphs and rosettes to bowl with Evangelist symbols, angels and Burgate arms. Square early C17 pulpit with 2 arched panelled sides, strapwork above, bracketed reading board. Plain medieval chest in chancel with traces of early painted decoration. C19 fittings include tower screen, organ to west, screen across nave, poppyhead bench ends, communion rails and reredos. Flanking tower arch are C18 round headed Credo and Lord's Prayer Boards. Royal Arms of George II dated 1735 over nave north door. Central in chancel a large chest tomb to Sir W. Burgate, d.1409, and wife: ashlar with Purbeck marble capping with large brass effigies in ogee headed canopies, inscribed around edge of capping. 11 x 4 sides of ogee headed niches, crocketed and finialed with small buttresses, shields of arms and winged hearts opposite alternate with empty figural niches. 1927 War Memorial altar in chancel. Fragments of early glass at head of nave north window. (Suffolk Archaeology, Vol.l, 1853, p.208).
Listing NGR: TM0824275599
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History' in Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History, , Vol. 1, (1853), 208
War Memorials Online, accessed 21 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/117983
War Memorials Register, accessed 21 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/4714
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing