This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BATTLESEA HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BATTLESEA HALL

List entry Number: 1032848

Location

BATTLESEA HALL, BATTLESEA GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stradbroke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 280203

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRADBROKE BATTLESEA GREEN TM 27 NW

1/83 Battlesea Hall - (formerly listed as 29.7.55 The Rookery)

-- II Farmhouse. Early C17 main range with c.1700 cross-wing to right, flush at the front. Set forward of the wing is a smaller C19 addition. C18, C19 and C20 alterations. Main range is timber framed, partly plastered and partly faced in colourwashed brick. Cross-wing of brick, nearly all colourwashed. Rear gable end rebuilt c.1900. Plaintiled roofs: old tiles only on the outer slope of the cross-wing. Ridge tiles. 2 storeys with attic to wing. Mid C20 casement windows without glazing bars. In gable end of cross-wing, adjacent to the later addition, a half-glazed C19 door and C20 open wooden porch. Internal stack: base with inset panels front and rear; sawtooth shaft with C20 cap. Side wall of wing has a large segmental-headed window, partly lighting the stair. To right of this is a curious arched recess with moulded surround, raised springers and key. Blind window panel above. Interior considerably altered with little of structure visible. In the wing is a good early-mid C17 closed-string stair with vase balusters and square panelled newels; half- balusters and panelling against the wall. This stair has almost certainly been brought here from a larger house. In C18 the attic was used as a Roman Catholic chapel by a branch of the Fox family who lived here. A raised gallery with various sections of re-used balustrading still survives; the pulpit and other fittings were removed in C19. Extending south east from the house is part of a medieval moated system.

Listing NGR: TM2163575316

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 21635 75316

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032848 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 02:48:36.

End of official listing