This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1032976



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Bricett

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 279885

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/110 Great Bricett Hall



Farmhouse; built as the hall of the Augustinian Priory of St. Leonard and attached to the north side of the church (see above item). Mid C13 with alterations of early C14, late C16, c.1770 and mid C19. Timber-framed and plastered. Hipped plaintiled main roof with axial and end chimneys of C19 red brick. Main range of 3-cell cross-entry plan. 2 storeys. Mid C19 sashes and panelled entrance door at cross entry, another doorway at rear of cross-entry is similar but with iron trelliswork porch. A very rare example of a C13 timber-framed domestic structure, with carpentry of the highest quality. A 2- bay open hall is at the centre, with an integral storeyed bay at the south end. At the north end of the hall is a cross-entry; the service cell was almost or entirely rebuilt c.1770. The hall had (until C16) an aisle on the west side; the east side was not aisled, but had a structure attached, either a porch or cloister. In the cross-entry is a composition of 3 service doorways, and a 4th smaller but more richly carved. The doorways have lap- jointed equilateral arches, and shafts with moulded capitals; the lower doorway has in addition a band of dogtooth carving and mutilated foliate capitals. The closed truss above has two pairs of passing braces one above the other, and a pair of saltire braces at the centre, with studwork at 1.2m centres. The open truss of the hall is depleted, but had straight tie-beam braces and massive clasping passing-braces; the eastern post is unmoulded (being in an external wall) and the arcade post to the west is missing. The closed truss at the upper end of the hall is similar to the other but has divergent braces crossing the passing-braces to form saltires. The truss was jettied into the hall over the dais (until altered in perhaps C18), and there is evidence for a massive supporting archbrace, perhaps one of a series. Splayed and tabled scarf joints with undersquinted butts. The medieval roof was rebuilt c.1770, but many C13 and C15 rafters are reused, the former having had notch-lap jointed collars but no other bracing (apart from passing-braces at trusses). In early C14 a wing was added to the south-west corner; it contained a solar of at least 3 bays, of which 2 remain. The main open truss has a cambered tiebeam with ovolo moulding continuing along the thick archbraces and applied cornice. Two long slender knee-braced octagonal crownposts with roll-moulded capitals. (compare Church of St. Mary, Flowton, Item 6/110). The hall has a mid/late C16 inserted upper floor with moulded joists. Circa 1600, the west wing was truncated and extended.

Listing NGR: TM0384450681

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 03844 50681


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032976 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 11:56:29.

End of official listing