CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1032977
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1032977.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:53:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Finborough
National Grid Reference:
TM 01358 57942

Details

GREAT FINBOROUGH CHURCH ROAD TM 05 NW

2/112 Church of St. Andrew

9.12.55

- II

Parish church, 1874-77 by R.M. Phipson, on the site of the previous medieval church and possibly reusing a little of its stonework. In the Decorated style. Flint rubble; freestone dressings with much carved ornament. Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north transeptal chapel with vestry and organ chamber attached. The tower is a very prominent feature; at the base is a richly moulded west doorway and window; the belfry stage is octagonal with flying buttresses; a tall spire with bands of pink and buff linestone. Good carved figures on the porch at bases of gables and elsewhere on exterior. Arch-braced collar-beam roof with kingposts. Complete original internal fittings. Glass by Clayton and Bell. A number of good monuments have been transferred from the previous church, most now in the chapel. Wall monument to Charlton Wollaston, d.1729, with a put to unrolling a scroll. Other monuments to members of the Wollaston family, 1720, 1758, 1769, 1797. A large monument to Roger Pettiward, d.1833, by Sir R. Westmacott with a large relief of the Good Samaritan. Five C17 and C18 marble slabs in the nave floor and six others in the tower. Fixed to the tower wall are two C14 coped coffin slabs.

Listing NGR: TM0135857942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279887
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07745/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Tracy Leah. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].