CHURCH COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1033019

Date first listed: 22-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH COTTAGES, 1 AND 2, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033019 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 14:24:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH COTTAGES, 1 AND 2, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Battisford

National Grid Reference: TM 05493 54332

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BATTISFORD CHURCH ROAD TM 05 SE

6/8 Nos. 1 and 2(Church Cottages)

GV II

House; at one time 2 cottages. Built c.1550, extended c.1600. 2 storeys, partly with attics. Timber-framed and plastered with C19 scratched panels simulating ashlar. Thatched roof with axial C17 chimney of red brick, the shaft almost rebuilt in C19. C19/C20 small-pane casements. Mid C20 framed and boarded door at lobby entrance position. 2 cells of a house of c.1550- 1580 to right have some reused members of c.1530; a pair of posts are carved with brattishing at the jowl supporting a moulded 1st floor beam. Other framing is unmoulded, with tension stud-braced studding and clasped purlin roof. Circa 1600, a 2-bay parlour cell was added to left, with good close studding and wind-braced clasped purlin roof. Of this phase is the inserted chimney with a lintelled open fireplace and an arched chamber fireplace.

Listing NGR: TM0549154395

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279783

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing