Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033025.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 16:35:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 00305 57653



2/23 Church of St. Mary 9.12.55

- I

Parish church, mainly mid C14 in several phases; alterations of 1875 and 1923. Nave, chancel, west tower and south porch; the vestry rebuilt in 1875. Flint rubble, mainly plastered apart from the tower, with freestone dressings. Embattled parapets of red brick with terracotta copings to the nave, and of flint rubble and ashlar elsewhere; parapet gables. Graded riven Lakeland slates to nave roof, Welsh slates to chancel. All the C14 work is of good quality with much moulded stone; the chancel is earliest - of c.1330. Tall 2- light side windows. The east window is of 5 lights with good mouchette tracery. Above the east buttresses are square pinnacles with blank tracery and crocketed gables; each corner has a grotesque carved on the base. Well- moulded north chancel doorway; the vestry doorway is similar. A double piscina has fine crocketed gables and pinnacles and blind tracery; it is linked to a wide dropped-cill sedilia with squinch arches and fragments of a segmental-pointed and traceried arch above it. On the seat is a repositioned C14 tomb slab with cross-shaft. Pointed and shafted chancel arch. Large nave of c.1360 with tall 2-light windows, an ogee-headed piscina and moulded north and south doorways. Outside the south door is an ogee-headed stoup. South porch of late C14 is shafted and hood-moulded, and above is a niche for the image of the Virgin Mary, ogee-headed pinnacled and buttressed. Large late C14 west tower with 3-light west window and grotesque gargoyles. The plinth and buttresses have chequer patterning in flushwork. The ringing chamber floor is original, supported on massive arch braces and corbels carved with grotesques. A rood loft stairway with 2 doorways in the north wall. The chancel roof was rebuilt 1656 as carved with the initials J.H., F.G. and T.C; 5 bays with arch-braced tiebeams and pierced drop-finials at the centre of each. The nave roof was rebuilt 1923 in 6 bays with plain alternating hammerbeam and queenpost trusses; one beam bears the date 1652. Some good stained glass in the chancel windows believed to date from 1410; other glass in the south nave windows. Octagonal mid C14 font; each face of the bowl is gabled and pinnacled and at each corner a buttress rises from a human head. The rim is embattled. Two C19 benches in the chancel have reused poppyhead ends and the fronts have C14 blind tracery. Late C17 altar rails. In the chancel are 3 marble floor slabs, one dated 1692, another 1584. Painted arms of George I.

Listing NGR: TM0030557653


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/07745/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Tracy Leah. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].