BROUGHTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1033175

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: BROUGHTON HALL, STOWMARKET ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROUGHTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 22:18:13.

Location

Statutory Address: BROUGHTON HALL, STOWMARKET ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Stonham Aspal

National Grid Reference: TM 13283 59430

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STONHAM ASPAL STOWMARKET ROAD TM 15 NW 5/187 - Broughton Hall 9-12-55 - II

Farmhouse, formerly manor house; c.1600 with early C19 remodelling. Timber- framed and plastered with good C18 and C19 cable-pattern pargetting in panels. Plaintiled roof with external chimneys of red brick; the C17 parlour and hall chimneys have rebuilt twin diagonally set shafts; at the bases of both stacks are external arched niches of uncertain purpose but with the appearance of seats. 2 storeys and attics. 3-cell lobby and cross-passage entrance plan, both end cells being of cross-wing form. Early C19 small-pane sashes; that to the hall has side-lights and that to the parlour is twinned. Early C19 entrance doorways at both lobby entrance and cross-passage positions; 4- panelled doors, with upper panels glazed, and a cornice on console brackets. The main range has ovolo-moulded main beams; close studding and unchamfered exposed floor joists in the parlour. Wind-braced butt-purlin roof over the parlour, the remainder almost rebuilt after a fire c.1930. Full-height newel staircase with good moulded plank door at landing. The service cross-wing was added early or mid C17 to replace an earlier range; it includes a bakehouse and, formerly, a dairy which was rebuilt c.1930.

Listing NGR: TM1328359430

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279438

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing