This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1033245

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, ALL SAINTS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Creeting St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 279298

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 05 NE 4/49

CREETING ST. MARY All Saints Road (North Side) Church of St. Mary

9-12-55

GV II* Parish church. Medieval; with much remodelling 1884-7, including rebuilding of upper stage of tower and addition of north aisle in the Decorated style. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north aisle and vestry. Flint rubble with freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs with parapet gables and stone crosses. C12 south doorway with shafts, scalloped capitals and a lunette- enriched arch. The chancel has work of c.1300: a pair of hood-moulded 2-light windows and a simple cusped piscina. Large net-traceried C14 east window. Good C15 south porch, the south face covered in trefoil-headed flushwork panels; the doorway has triple attached shafts and the hoodmould springs from angel corbels. Above is a niche, now bearing a C19 image. Complete coupled- rafter roof with embattled cornice. The tower has a 2-light west window of c.1400, with a stone panel bearing a cross above it; prominent C19 parapets and gargoyles. An early C16 3-light south window in the nave. Fine C15 octagonal limestone font, with the Evangelists alternating with figures bearing shields around the stem, angels beneath, and lions supporting the stem. Original crocketed oak cover, with major C19 restoration. Wall monument in the tower to Rear Admiral Samuel Uvedale (d.1808) and wife Margaret (d.1814). Three C18 marble floor slabs in nave. Some late C19 stained glass by Kempe, and later Kempe and Tower.

Listing NGR: TM0938256703

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 09382 56703

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2018 at 01:57:38.

End of official listing