CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1033267
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033267.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:21:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Coddenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 13272 54160

Details

TM 1354 8/3

CODDENHAM Church Road Church of St. Mary

9-12-55

I Parish church. Medieval with major phases of mid C14 and late C15. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles and north-west tower. Organ chamber of c.1880. Flint rubble with freestone dressings; inclusions of brick rubble in both C14 and C15 work. Low-pitched leaded roofs to nave and aisles, partly with parapets. Chancel roof plaintiled; parapet gables throughout. Areas of C11/C12 rubble walling to north chancel, and perhaps west nave; in the former is a slit window. The chancel was extended eastwards in mid C13: good east and south windows with hoodmould and tracery; one window has a piscina with corner shaft, and another is reset with good matching doorway in the C19 organ chamber. Fine carved masks at the east gable kneeler stones. Plain early C14 tower, raised by two stages in early C16 with flushwork parapets. Nave and aisles rebuilt mid C14: arcades upon octagonal piers with moulded capitals, north and south doorways, windows with varied curvilinear tracery and a piscina in the south chapel, all with much hoodmoulding. The nave and aisles were remodelled to a high standard in mid or late C15: clerestory in 7 full and 2 half bays; traceried windows, the interstices entirely panelled with intricate flushwork, and above is an inscription "ORATE PRO ANIMAE JOHANNIS FRENCH ET MARGARETE"; fine roof with trusses of double hammerbeams and short kingposts, all members being enriched and the arch-braces carved; angels and wall-post figures much renewed, but one at least of the former is original; matching aisle roofs with arch-braced principals. Restored early C16 south porch, with flushwork panels, the doorway with label and lion corbels. Rood loft stairway with brick walls and two doorways. Some fragments of screen (now elsewhere) are dated 1534. Early C17 arcaded pulpit on C19 limestone plinth. Late C17 rails with barley-sugar balusters, at south chapel and at chancel arch. In the chancel are C15 choirstalls with misericordes, and 4 reused bench-ends. The limestone font in the C15 manner is probably a C19 renewal. Three good wall monuments in the chancel: to Philip Bacon (d.1666), to Revd. Baltazar Gardenau (d.1739) and Lady Catharine his wife (d.1757), and to Revd. Nicholas Bacon (d.1796). Over the Bacon vault in the chancel is a marble slab with achievements. In the south aisle is a floor slab with indents for brasses of C16 type. Six painted panels, mainly in the nave, have coats of arms.

Listing NGR: TM1327254160

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279251
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00489/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs B.A. Curtis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].