BARHAM CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1033287

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: BARHAM CLOSE, BELL'S CROSS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARHAM CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033287 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 22:55:46.

Location

Statutory Address: BARHAM CLOSE, BELL'S CROSS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Barham

National Grid Reference: TM 14934 52310

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 15 SW 3/7

BARHAM Bell's Cross Road Barham Close (Formerly listed as Barn Close)

9.12.55

II House, mid C16 with alterations of early C20. 2 storeys. 3-cell plan; the right-hand cell is of cross-wing form. Timber-framed; the framing is fully exposed with arched wind-braces and close-studding, the infill panels plastered. Thatched roofs, the cross-wing hipped. C17 axial chimney of red brick. Various mainly C20 casements including some of plaintiled oriel form. Some original diamond-mullioned windows are exposed and glazed, also one with ovolo-moulded mullions of c.1600. 1-storey gabled plaintiled entrance porch; the doorway has reused late-mediaeval timber jambs and a C20 arched head. The cross-wing has heavy unmoulded joists (some reused from a medieval house), exposed studwork,and a 3-bay chamber above. Clasped-purlin roofs. The roof over the single-bay hall is lightly smoke-blackened, either by a short-lived original open hearth or an early accidental fire. The 1st floor joists in the hall range are on-edge and of C17 or C18, and must represent a major alteration, possibly the conversion of an open hall.

Listing NGR: TM1493452310

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 279200

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing