ST MICHAELS HOSPITAL REAR RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1033360

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1998

Statutory Address: ST MICHAELS HOSPITAL REAR RANGE, TRENT VALLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MICHAELS HOSPITAL REAR RANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 14:54:31.

Location

Statutory Address: ST MICHAELS HOSPITAL REAR RANGE, TRENT VALLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Lichfield

National Grid Reference: SK 12527 09749

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 10 NW LICHFIELD TRENT VALLEY ROAD (North side) 1094-1/3/10009 St Michaels Hospital rear Range

II

Former Master's House, flanked by male and female wings, to the former Lichfield Union Workhouse, now a hospital. 1838-40 by Scott and Moffatt. Red brick with blue brick diapering. Tiled roof, the 3 central bays with gables and central ogee-roofed cupola. 2 storeys; central 3 bays with attic. Symmetrical design of central bay flanked by projecting single-window canted bays and then slightly recessed 5-window ranges terminating with shallow 2-window cross wings. Gauged brick flat arches to mostly altered modern windows. Central crenellated, Tudor arched stone porch. Beyond to east later addition not of special interest. Interior: retains the original stair. Lichfield Poor Law Union was formed in 1836 and soon after opened a competition for a new Workhouse. The competition was won by G G Scott & W B Moffat, work began on building this Workhouse on 24th May 1838 and it was officially opened on 8th May 1840.



Listing NGR: SK1252709749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 471798

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing