BELLCAGE TO NORTH SIDE OF CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1033451

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Statutory Address: BELLCAGE TO NORTH SIDE OF CHURCHYARD, RECTORY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BELLCAGE TO NORTH SIDE OF CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033451 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 15:02:31.

Location

Statutory Address: BELLCAGE TO NORTH SIDE OF CHURCHYARD, RECTORY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh (District Authority)

Parish: East Bergholt

National Grid Reference: TM 07041 34484

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL (North Side)

6/47 Bellcage to North Side of Churchyard

22.2.55

GV II*

Bellhouse. Probably late C16. Timber-framed on red brick plinth. Plain tile roof. Rectangular on plan. Plank and muntin lower wall with open lattice work above. Door to left with long strap hinges. Overhanging steeply-pitched hipped gableted roof. Interior contains bell frame with five bells, one dated 1450. Some wall posts jowled. Posts to centre of each wall with knees support tie beams. Roof of lower level of butt purlins with clasped purlins above. Built to house the bells after the erection of the west tower of St Mary's Church (qv) was abandoned. Said to have been resited from the east side of the church in C18 at the request of Joseph Chaplin of Old Hall (qv). Paterson T F, East Bergholt in Suffolk 1923 pp 90-95 Pevsner N, Suffolk 2nd ed 1974 p 196

Listing NGR: TM0704134484

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 278755

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Patterson, T F , East Bergholt in Suffolk, (1923), 90-5
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1961), 196

End of official listing