This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1033457

Location

THE OLD RECTORY, RECTORY HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Bergholt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 29-May-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 278766

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT RECTORY HILL (North Side)

6/58 The Old Rectory (Formerly listed as 22.2.55 Woodcote)

GV II

Rectory, now house. 1714 with additional wing of 1820s. Red brick in Flemish bond, front rendered, rear painted. Slate roof to front, plain tiles to rear. Two storeys, attic and basement. 4 bays with lower range of 1820 to left. Steps to off-centre original entrance (present entrance to rear). 12-pane sashes. Parapet. M-shaped roof with gabled dormer windows. Rear: later porch containing half-glazed door. 12-pane sashes (some with thick glazing bars) in flush architraves under flat gauged brick arches. Eaves band and parapet. Gabled dormers with sashes. Later wing: 12-pane sashes in reveals under segmental arches. Interior: entrance hall has paired arches to staircase with pilasters supporting keyed archivolts. Closed-string stair (possibly somewhat remodelled) with column-on-vase balusters with square knops. Column newels and ramped moulded handrail. Newels have square pendants with finials. Dado panelling with pilasters follows line of stair. Other features include a good carved chimneypiece to the drawing room, another to the entrance hall, 6-panel doors in architraves and cornices. The home of Dr Rhudde, grandfather of Maria Bicknell, wife of John Constable.

Listing NGR: TM0759934479

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 07599 34479

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033457 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2018 at 12:29:49.

End of official listing