THE TOWN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1033471

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 29-May-1987

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HOUSE, 1-3, BURNT OAK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033471 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 11:17:42.

Location

Statutory Address: THE TOWN HOUSE, 1-3, BURNT OAK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Babergh (District Authority)

Parish: East Bergholt

National Grid Reference: TM 07791 34344

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 0734 EAST BERGHOLT BURNT OAK (South Side)

6/6 The Town House (Nos 1 to 3) (Formerly listed as Almshouses at the Road 22.2.55 junction, 40 yards East of King's Head Inn)

GV II

Burnt Oak Cottages on OS Map. Range of cottages. 3 builds. Early C16 range to Flatford Road, later C16 range to Main Road with probable C17 addition to right. Later alterations. Timber-framed, rendered. Plain tile roof. Red brick stacks. 2 storeys, L-plan. Flatford Road front: 4 1st floor windows. Two C20 doors, small- paned casements. Steeply-pitched hipped roof. To Main Road: 5 1st floor windows, irregularly spaced. Range to left is jettied to rear. Steeply-pitched roof. Range to right is slightly lower with lobby-entry plan with half-glazed door and further entrance in gabled porch to gable end. Interior: Flatford Road range: chamfered beams and exposed joists. No 2 shows jowled posts, cambered tie-beam. Unmoulded crown post with mortice for missing brace to collar purlin with splayed scarf. Roof not fully inspected. In 1654 this building was bought by the Parish Overseers for housing paupers. East Bergholt Society, East Bergholt 1981, Text J Elam.

Listing NGR: TM0779134344

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 278713

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Elam, J , East Bergholt, (1981)

End of official listing