ROWDEFORD SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1033882

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Statutory Address: ROWDEFORD SCHOOL, DEVIZES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROWDEFORD SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 07:47:27.

Location

Statutory Address: ROWDEFORD SCHOOL, DEVIZES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Rowde

National Grid Reference: ST 97712 63340

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 96 SE BROMHAM DEVIZES ROAD (east side)

4/17 Rowdeford School

19.3.62 II

Country House, built 1812 for W. Locke M.P., ashlar with slate low- pitched roofs and ashlar stacks. Two storey main elevations, 3- storey painted brick service range. Five window formal front, the centre bay slightly recessed, the 2-bay sides framed by Ionic pilasters. Raised plinth, panelled band to each side, moulded cornice, set back at centre, and parapet. Sides have unmoulded window frames with 12-pane sashes above, plate-glass 4-pane sashes below. Centre has first floor 12-pane sash in enriched architrave with swags in frieze and cornice on console brackets. Centre 8- panel door in reeded frame with sidelights and large traceried fanlight over. Semi-circular ashlar porch on 2 pairs of Ionic columns with pilaster responds. Entablature with panelled frieze. Five-bay orangery to right, the centre 3 advanced and with Ionic pilasters. Timber cornice. Margin-lights to windows and centre glazed door. Broad 3-bay side has similar detail, recessed centre with ground floor corniced tripartite window, 12-pane above, wings with Ionic pilasters, 12-pane upper windows, French window to ground floor left, blind window to right. Interior: entrance hall with plaster frieze and fluted surrounds to doorcases each side. Two Ionic columns to rear, screening stair-hall. Open well staircase with thin iron lyre-motif balustrade. Circular top lantern. Matching Ionic columns to first floor landing. Rooms to ground floor left and right have plaster cornices and friezes. House is said to have been built for Wadham Locke M.P., died 1835, and passed to F.A.S. Locke, died 1885, but apparently owned or occupied c1815 by Thomas Wyatt (died 1820), c1818 by his son Matthew (died 1831), father of the eminent architects Thomas Henry Wyatt (1807-80) and Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt (1820-77). Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt was born at Rowde. (J.M. Robinson, The Wyatts, An Architectural Dynasty, 1979 201; N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9771263340

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 311167

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Robinson, J M , The Wyatt Family An Architectural Dynasty, (1979), 201

End of official listing