This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1033940

Location

OLD RECTORY, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Fittleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 311009

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FITTLETON MAIN STREET SU 14 NW (west side) 9/57 Old Rectory 4.6.52

GV II House. Late C17 and 1742. Main block of brick with limestone quoins and dressings. Slate roof. Rear, earlier, block, of flint and limestone with plain tiled roofs. Rear block of 2 bays, linked to parallel front block with central stair hall and flanking reception rooms, extended to left in early C19. Facade of 7 x 2 window bays divided into 3 equal parts by two giant order pilasters each carrying one triglyph frieze. Twelve-pane sashes with segmental brick arches and stone keys. Centre first floor window blind and key has incised F.J.M. 1742 (possibly Robert Merchant, rector 1731-73 Patron and the President of Magdalen College Oxford), flanked by narrow 8-pane sashes. Central open pedimented 6-panel door on console brackets. Timber cornice, broken slightly forward over pilasters. Three flat roofed dormers with casement windows. Roof hipped and stacks to rear. Interior has dog-leg stair with dado panelling, probably mid-C19. Room to left C18 fully panelled with cornice and C19 fireplace. Drawing room in left 2-bay extension also 1842-54 for Rev. T. Phillips.

Listing NGR: SU1463249604

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 14632 49604

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1033940 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2018 at 06:18:36.

End of official listing