SOMERSET HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1034076

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: SOMERSET HOSPITAL, BATH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOMERSET HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034076 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 17:49:42.

Location

Statutory Address: SOMERSET HOSPITAL, BATH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Froxfield

National Grid Reference: SU 30006 68090

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FROXFIELD BATH ROAD SU 26 NE and SU 36 NW (north side) 2/8, 3/8 Somerset Hospital (formerly listed as Duchess of Somerset Almshouse and Hospital and Chapel) 22.8.66 GV II* 50 charity dwellings and chapel (q.v.) 1694, 1775 and 1813. Built for Duchess of Somerset and known as The College. Red brick with vitrified brick banding and tiled roofs. Dwellings are arranged round a large rectangular court with gatehouse of 1813 in centre of south elevation. Each dwelling is of 2 storeys, 1 bay with lateral door to stair passage, living room and narrow kitchen. Eastern half, of 1694, has door and windows in ogee moulded stone surrounds, the boarded door with small timber canopy and lattice sides. Two-light windows with brick relieving arches over surround. Brick dentilled eaves. Western half, of 1775 without stone detail, brick plat band and leaded timber windows. South elevation has some blind windows and boxed eaves throughout. Central gatehouse of 1813, stone, tall buttresses and tall moulded carriage openings with Tudor arch. Three quatrefoil lights to upper level and crenellated parapet. Roof pitched carrying clock tower and bell turret with apex wind vane. Dedicatory inscription over entrance. Sun dial on internal rear facade. (Rev. A.G.Barley, Old Froxfield.)

Listing NGR: SU2995068084

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 310728

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Barley, Reverend A G, Old Froxfield

End of official listing