CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1034080
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034080.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:03:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Froxfield
National Grid Reference:
SU2958068024

Details

FROXFIELD CHURCH ROAD SU 26 NE (west side) 2/14 Church of All Saints (formerly listed as Parish Church 22.8.66 of All Saints) GV II* Anglican parish church. C13, C14, and C19 work by Ewan Christian. Flint with limestone dressings. Stone tiled roof. Nave with south porch and bell tower, chancel and north vestry. Chancel has 2 lancets to south and east end, latter with monolithic heads, and chamfered water table. Bench mark on south-east quoin. Nave at pronounced angle to chancel. Side alternate west quoins and some herringbone work may indicate C11 work. Two-light south window with quatrefoil head and no hoodmould, and 2 other later 2-light windows. Late medieval 3-light west window. C14 north door and probably C17 south door with C19 timber porch. Mass dials on south east quoins. Roof half hipped to west and shingled bell tower of the 1892 restoration with 6 trefoiled lights to each face. Pyramidal roof. Interior: Wide 3-bay nave with crown post roof of 1892. Chancel arch, also 1892 and north opening from chancel for organ and vestry. Chancel roof of 2 bays. Fittings: low stone medieval bowl font. C19 oak pulpit on stone base. C19 brass and round pole sanctuary rail and organ by Henry Jones of London. Monuments: Nave: Wall tablets. 1777, pink and white marbles, to ELIAS and ELEANOR IVY, Pedimented. Tablet of 1766, slate and marble, to JOSEPH DRURY. Tablet of 1833, marble to MARGARET LOWDER. Tablet of 1831, slate and marble, to GRACE ATWOOD. In chancel: Tablet of 1831, slate and marble to Rev. LUDOVIC EVANS, Latin inscription. Tablet of 1872 to JOHN GILLMORE. Tablet of 1821, white marble on slate, to Rev. JOHN GILLMORE. Urn over brackets flanking inscription on sarcophagus. Over north door good Royal arms of 1671, and 2 devotional boards. (Pevsner N. Buildings of England: [Wiltshire.)]

Listing NGR: SU2958068024

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310734
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03689/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Andy Domeracki. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].