CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1034139

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, A419

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:06:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, A419

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Chilton Foliat

National Grid Reference: SU 31911 70550

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 37 SW CHILTON FOLIAT A.419 (north side) 5/112 Church of St. Mary 22.8.66 II*

Anglican parish church. c1300, early C14 and C19. Flint with Bath stone dressings. North nave wall, tower and chancel rendered. Stone tile roof with slate to nave. Nave, South Aisle and porch. Chancel, west tower and vestry. Nave has one 2-light window on north of mid C13. Remainder 3-light Perpendicular. South aisle C19 2-light and chancel with C19 south side lancet and 2-light Decorated window and priest's door. On north side, c1320 2-light window and east window C19. Tower with west door c1320-50 and C19 window over. Tower of 3 stages, probably C13, with paired lancets to bell stage and reset billet hoods. Crenellated parapet and small crocketed pinnacles. South porch C19 with mean side seats. Interior: Nave of 5 bays, with wagon roof of early C17, on panelled wall posts and brackets to short hammerbeams, restored C19. Western gallery of 1845 carried through over south aisle and supporting organ. Chancel arch Cl9 with fossil marble shafts. Chancel has panelled 3-bay roof. South Aisle of 1845, by Benjamin Ferrey, with 4 bay arcade on round columns towards nave, possibly replacement of similar earlier arcade. Fittings: Nave refurbished 1845, including pulpit with direct access from vestry only, and reading desks. Chancel screen C16 with fluted pilasters and open lights with Gothic tracery, repaired C19. Sanctuary panelling, riddel posts and marble paving all of 1929. Font in south aisle octagonal with carved scenes, by Reverend Thomas Mayrick, mid C19. Monuments: In chancel, wall tomb, C13, of knight, cross-legged with shield and sword, said to be Sir Sampson Foliat, c1250. Numerous marble wall tablets; WILLIAM LEYBORNE, 1790, tablet surmounted by shield with putti and cornucopiae, bearing eulogy. ANNE LAYBORNE LEYBORNE, undated by Gaffin of London. DOROTHY LEYBORNE POPHAM, 1830, by Gaffin. General E. W. L. POPHAM, draped urns over tablet in black marble niche by Ternouth of Pimlico. FRANCIS LEYBORNE POPHAM, 1880 by Lloyd of Bedwyn. FRANCIS POPHAM, 1839, hand severing a lily, by Ternouth. FRANCIS HUGH LEYBORNE POPHAM, a child of 6 months on cushion, by E. L. Popham. EDWARD POPHAM DD. Arms on pyramid over tablet. Colonel WILLIAM KELLY, Panel with urn over, painted arms below. FRANCIS WILLIAM LEYBOURNE POPHAM, cast brass tablet with arms over and Reverend WALTER HENRY POPHAM, 1945. Also 2 Popham brasses of 1900 and 1910. In the nave, 2 tablets, Sir WILLIAM HENRY COOPER, wife and child, 1835 by Hopper of London, and ROGER SPANSWICK of Suly and his wife 1809. Grecian. In the aisle: LOVELACE BIGG and family, 1724, an aedicule in variagated marbles, pilasters and arms in segmental pediment. BULSTRODE WHITLOCKE and daughter, 1737. Plain tablet with putto under. Hatchments fixed to nave roof, of Popham and Cooper families. Brass to Reverend ROBERT COLLARD, 1598-1648. Under west end of nave, 3 benefaction boards, 1769 (1 Acre and fireengine), 1770 (Endowment of charity school), and 1669 and 1796, (Gift of chalices and paten). Furniture: C16 splay sided chest, said to be Spanish. C17 panelled chest in South Aisle. Reference: Pevsner, [(Buildings of England: Wiltshire).

Listing NGR: SU3191170550

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 310572

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing