CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1034258

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1949

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 16:06:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Marlborough

National Grid Reference: SU 18579 68793

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 5407 (West End) CENTRE ISLAND Church of St Peter and St Paul. SU 1868 2/24 II*

18.7.49.

Mid or late C15. Ashlar. Nave and 2 aisles, north one with a canted west end, chancel, west tower, and porch. No clerestory. Aisle windows have 3-light Perpendicular tracery, west window 5-light Perpendicular tracery. Tower placed at west end of south aisle: 3 stages, crenellated parapet, octagonal turrets at corners capped by Cl8 pyramidal finials, windows in top stage with 3-light Perpendicular tracery. Crenellated parapet to aisle and chancel roofs. Finials at east corners of chancel (probably Cl9). Doorway to porch with 4-centred arch and square hood mould. Interior of porch tierceron vaulted. Interior has tall Perpendicular arcade and Cl9 wooden. roof on stone angel corbels. Aisle roofs are also wooden, lean-to. Quadrant relieving arch abuts tower in south aisle. Chancel tierceron-vaulted, and east wall rebuilt by T H Wyatt in 1862-3, giving it highly polychromed tiling in abstract patterns.

Good monuments, especially (in chancel) to 3 children of Sir Nicholas Hyde (1626), and to Marianne Maurice (1840) by Ternouth to designs of Chantrey. More Baroque tablets. Furnishings Cl9 replacing Georgian box pews. Cardinal Wolsey ordained priest here in 1498. Best church in Marlborough, remarkable for the vaulting and its site.

The Church of St Peter and St Paul forms a group Nos 42 to 64 (consec), and Nos 65 to 85 (consec), The Sun Public House and Nos 88 to 90 Consec.



Listing NGR: SU1855468692

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 310347

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing