CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1034282
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1992
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CARTER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034282 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 04:00:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CARTER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sandown
National Grid Reference:
SZ 59963 84632

Details

SANDOWN SZ58SE CARTER STREET 1352-0/4/170 Church of St John II Church. 1880-1 by C L Luck in Early English style. Built of coursed rubble with modern pantiled roofs. Nave and chancel in one, 4 bays to nave, 1 bay to chancel, north and south aisles and octagonal shingled spirelet on roof between nave and chancel. West front has tall lancet windows and tall buttresses. 5 double trefoliated windows to clerestorey, separated by stepped buttresses. Aisles have traceried windows, triple lancets in arched surrounds, the central higher and with quatrefoil motifs. South front gabled with cross-shaped saddlestone. Arched doorcase with engaged columns. Spacious interior with large arches supported on circular columns. Octagonal font with trefoil decoration. Elaborate octagonal stone lectern of 1903 with carved figure of saint and marble columns. East wall arcaded with 6 large trefoliated stained glass windows. Wooden louvred reredos. Sedilia and screen to side chapels. Wooden roof of hammerbeam type with crenellated tie beam.

Listing NGR: SZ5996384632

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310206
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09828/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. B. Cooke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].