HOLY TRINITY CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1034333
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1992
Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, KINGS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLY TRINITY CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034333.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:49:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, KINGS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bembridge
National Grid Reference:
SZ 64338 88222

Details

BEMBRIDGE SZ68NW KINGS ROAD 1352-0/2/31 Holy Trinity Church GV II

Church. c 1845-6 possibly by T Hellyer. A rebuilding of an 1820s church by John Nash which collapsed because it was built of the friable Bembridge stone. As a result, the building has the feeling of Commissioner's Gothic though later in period. Built of Purbeck stone with Portland dressings, slate roof and stone spire. 5 bay nave, north aisle, chancel, west tower with stone broached spire and south porch. West tower of 2 stages with louvred bell chamber with double lancets set in larger arch. Stone corbels. Octagonal spire and elaborate clock with metal face. Nave has lancet windows with dripstones separated by stepped buttresses. Interior: nave has pointed arches on circular columns. Large pointed chancel arch. Roof of slight scantling with collar beams. Series of early to mid C19 wall tablets.

Listing NGR: SZ6433888222

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310067
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09828/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. B. Cooke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].