CEMETERY LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1034370

Date first listed: 12-Apr-1991

Statutory Address: CEMETERY LODGE, 161, WARSTONE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CEMETERY LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:30:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CEMETERY LODGE, 161, WARSTONE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 05956 87704

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following Building shall be added:- WARSTONE LANE, Hockley SP 98 NE 7/98 Cemetery Lodge (No. 161) II Cemetery lodge. 1848 by J.R. Hamilton of Gloucester. Blue-grey engineering brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with crested ridge tiles and stone coping to gable ends. Gable end and axial stacks, each with 3 octagonal ashlar shafts with moulded caps and base, the south west stack is corbelled out from gable end.

Rectangular plan with central carriageway; cemetery keeper's cottage on left (north west) and offices on right (north east). Tudor Gothic style.

2 storeys. 3 bays, the centre in tall advanced gable with marginal buttresses, double-chamfered 4-centred arch carriageway with carved keystone on corbel for canted stone oriel above with crenellated cornice and shaft rising from its roof to buttressed gablet on gable apex surmounted by stone cross. Flanking bays have stone 4-light windows with king mullions and transoms and gabled half-dormers with 2-light windows, all with 4-centred arch heads to lights and metal casements. Diagonal corner buttresses. 3-bay rear (north west) elevation has gabled central carriageway with diagonal buttresses, similar arch and tall stepped 3-light window and loop above; flanked by lower advanced gables, that on left with tall 2-light first floor window over panel and small ground floor window and on right 3-light ground floor and 2-light first floor windows similar to those at front. Chamfered 4- centred arch doorways inside carriageway and gates at front of carriageway with wrought-iron grilles in open panels and with wrought-iron hinges and cresting.

Interior not inspected.

Note: This was part of the competition entry for the design of the Church of England cemetery, which extends to about 9 acres and contained the Church of St Michael (demolished).

Source: Kelly's Directory' 1928.



Listing NGR: SP0595587705

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 409878

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1928)

End of official listing