LORDINGTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1034423

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1958

Statutory Address: LORDINGTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LORDINGTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:23:24.

Location

Statutory Address: LORDINGTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester (District Authority)

Parish: Stoughton

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: SU 78168 09836

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 70 NE STOUGHTON RACTON

11/306 Lordington House

5.6.58 II*

Large house. The remaining part of a house of 1623, possibly built on the foundations of an earlier house of c1500 which belonged to the De La Pole family and in which Cardinal De La Pole was born. Some Tudor brickwork remains in the external walls but the house is otherwise of 1623 with C18 roof and window openings, 1845 kitchen wing and was extensively remodelled in 1895 by Admiral Sir Phipps Hornby who demolished part of the building and it was refenestrated and the main door replaced in the mid C20 by Geoffrey Jellicoe. Built of flint with red brick quoins and window dressings, some C16 and C17, hipped tiled roof and brick chimneystacks. Two storeys attics and part basement with four windows and two dormers facing south and three windows and two dormers facing east. L-shaped building. Ogee-shaped dormers added in 1895. Twelve pane sashes are mid C20 replacements, as is Queen Anne style doorcase with curved hood in south wall of long range. Brick stringcourse. The principal internal feature is the main staircase constructed c1895 with C19 newel posts but reusing early C17 components which may have been salvaged from the demolished wing. These comprise five carved finials of heraldic beasts and monsters sitting upright and holding shields, a lion, a dragon, a bear, a unicorn with a crown and chain and a griffin. The heavy handrail is moulded and closed below by single pierced carvings of scroll ornament, swags of fruit and drapeJ:y which have been positioned upside-down. The topmost panel is a cherub which was originally designed to be set at an angle. The Drawing Room oak panelling is of early C18 style with inbuilt alcoves but is probably of c1895. There are some late C19 marble bolection moulded fireplaces and a mahogany water closet. The roof is C18 with collar beam, staggered purlins and pegged rafters. The cellars contain a C17 chamfered beam. There is a servants staircase of c1845. A drawing of 1791 shows Lordington House before the south wing was demolished. [See Pevsner BOE Sussex p312. VCH Sussex Vol IV pp 113-114.Lordington House" by the Rev F H Arnold. ] Signed by authority of the Secretary of State Dated; 8 November 1996 M A M REDMOND Department of National Heritage





Listing NGR: SU7816809836

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 301289

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Arnold, F H , Lordington House
Hudson, T P, The Victoria History of the County of Sussex, (1953), 113-4
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I, The Buildings of England: Sussex, (1965)

End of official listing