Preston Tower (old)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1034424
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
Preston Tower (old), Preston, Chathill, NE67 5DH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Preston Tower (old)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034424.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 02:56:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
Preston Tower (old), Preston, Chathill, NE67 5DH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ellingham
National Grid Reference:
NU 18371 25432

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/07/2019

NU 12 NE 11/161 ELLINGHAM CHATHILL PRESTON Preston Tower (old)

(Formerly listed as Preston Tower (old), ELLINGHAM)

22.12.69

GV II* Part of tower house. C14 restored 1864 by Henry Robert Baker Cresswell. Squared stone with Welsh slate roof. The remains include the south wall and two southern corner turrets of a larger hall-type tower house with four towers (cf. Haughton Castle and Langley Castle). The rear wall is of 1864.

Three storeys. Chamfered plinth. Recessed centre flanked by projecting turrets. In the centre a boarded door in C16, or C17 chamfered surround. Two slit windows with chamfered surrounds above door. Four similar windows in turret to left, three in turret to right. On second floor in centre, a large clock with ceramic face inscribed H R B C for the restorer. Embattled parapet. Higher turrets have rounded corbels below parapets. On left return a blocked, low, narrow C14 doorway with pointed arch and chamfered surround. To rear, similar clock face dated 1864.

Interior: springing of ground-floor vault visible. The turrets have pointed tunnel-vaulted chambers on each floor. Also in turrets three C16 or C17 fireplaces with chamfered surrounds; one has a lintel, with keystone. Many mason's marks. C14 doorways into turret rooms have pointed arches and chamfered surrounds.

Listing NGR: NU1837125432

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
409582
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/15469/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Don Brownlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].