CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1034425

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034425 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 21:40:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

Parish: Hayton

National Grid Reference: SK 72719 84183

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 78 SW HAYTON CHURCH LANE (south side) 4/37 Church of St. Peter 1.2.67 I Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Restored C19. Ashlar, snecked stone, coursed rubble, coursed squared rubble, brick, slate and slab roofs. Chamfered plinths, crenellated parapets, coped east gables with crosses. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, early C14, has string course, eaves band, a single gargoyle to north and south, parapet. A pair of corner buttresses to west, 3 setoffs. That to south has memorial brass, C19. To west, restored C14 double lancet with cusped hexagonal head, splayed reveal and hood mould. Second stage has 4 later C14 double lancet bell openings with moulded reveals, ogee hood moulds and crocketed finials. Nave, C14, 3 bays, has string course and 3 buttresses to north, 3 setoffs. 3 C14 triple lancets with cusped heads, hood moulds and mask stops, restored. Chancel, C14, 2 bays, has moulded eaves. To east, 2 pairs of corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. North side has 2 C14 style double lancets with cusped heads, restored. East end has C14 Decorated triple lancet with chamfered reveal. South side has off-centre priest's door, and to west, a C14 double lancet in cove moulded reveal. To east, a C14 style double lancet with cusped head. South aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses, 3 setoffs. East end has C15 triple lancet with 4 centred arched head, restored. South side has 2 C14 double lancets in splayed reveals, restored. West end has window similar to east end. South porch, C14, has deep moulded plinth and string course, parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. Moulded south doorway with moulded imposts and hood mould. Above, crenellated gable. Interior has stone benches and vaulted roof with chamfered ribs and half- octagon imposts. Inner doorway, C12, restored, with chamfered reveal, moulded hood with dogtooth and zigzag band of stylised leaves. Foliate stops. C19 traceried panelled door. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, dying into wall. Nave south arcade, late C12, 3 bays, has 2 round piers, that to east with stiff leaf capital, that to west with moulded capital and water holding base. Chamfered and rebated round arches with C19 stiff leaf imposts. North side has stained glass windows 1886, 1884 and C19. C19 hammer beam roof with curved braces on mask and foliate corbels, C14, and C19. Chancel arch, C19 in C13 style, double chamfered and rebated, with foliate imposts. Chancel east end has panelled oak reredos, 1928, with cresting and inscription. East window has stained glass by Kempe, 1877. South side has to east C13 piscina with pointed trefoil head. C19 hammer beam roof with curved braces on foliate corbels. South aisle has to east a chamfered square aumbry and a re-set foliate corbel. East window has stained glass by Ward and Hughes, 1891. South side has to east a C19 pointed arched piscina and a window with stained glass c.1861. C19 lean-to roof on foliate corbels. Fittings include re-tooled C14 font with traceried panelled octagonal stem and octagonal bowl with foliate panels. C19 octagonal traceried panelled ashlar pulpit with brass and iron handrail, C19 carved timber eagle lectern. Deal pews with doors and fleur de lys finials. Large carved clergy desk with finials. Turned and pierced oak choir stalls. Monuments incude 3 effigies, early C14, of man, woman and child. Marble memorial tablets, 1775 and c.1856, large slate memorial, 1817, memorial tile, 1808, brass and slate memorial, 1893. Brasses 1898 and 2 C20. Roll of Honour, 1919.

Listing NGR: SK7271984183

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 409848

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing