ST CROSS MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1034467

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: ST CROSS MILL, ST CROSS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST CROSS MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:54:41.

Location

Statutory Address: ST CROSS MILL, ST CROSS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Newport

National Grid Reference: SZ 49843 89391

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST CROSS LANE (WEST) 1. 5270 St Cross Mill SZ 4989 SE 2/500

II

2. WATER MILL: Early C19. Red brick with a blue headers in English bond. Welsh slate roof. One gable has been rebuilt in stretcher bond. Three storeys. The ground floor has two cambered headed windows and a doorway with plain timber jambs and lintels. First and second floor each have three light, 12 pane casements with timber mullion. Returns of two windows with a cast iron small paned window in the rebuilt gable. Single storey wing to left rather altered but appears to be a portion of an earlier mill. Later extension of no special interest to rear. Interior: timber construction with three chamfered cross beams at each level. Iron breast shot wheel with all paddles gone. Great spun wheel, iron vertical drive with wallower and double crown wheel both with wooden teeth but all milling machinery gone. Top floor has corn bins and principal raftered roof with staggered purlins, the main members chamfered. History: extent leases indicate a major change of ownership in 1810 which may be the date of the main building and in 1876-8 when it was sold by Winchester College and this may date the remaining machinery. An almost complete original structure from the early C19 with some late C19 machinery. Basement has several courses of stone which may date back to the monastic mill.

Listing NGR: SZ4984689402

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 409778

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing