This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLOCK TOWER AT WHITECROFT HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOCK TOWER AT WHITECROFT HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1034485

Location

CLOCK TOWER AT WHITECROFT HOSPITAL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Isle of Wight

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newport

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309790

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Clock Tower at SZ 48 NE 17/345 Whitecroft Hospital

II

Combined water tower and clock tower. Built 1898 - 1902 for the Whitecroft hospital, a mental hospital. Style appears to be inspired by Lombardic campanile with Flemish detailing to clock tower. Built of red brick with leaded roof. Water tower is rectangular, of 6 storeys with one side slightly larger than the other. Top storey holding the water tank has stone dentil cornice projecting some 500 mm from the face of the building, 3 lancets with round-headed arches linked by drip moulding and projecting stone band. Lower floors have randomly spaced metal casements with stone lintels. Hipped lead roof to water tower from which rises in the centre a square brick clock tower with stone cornice, brick pilasters, clock face and ogee shaped leaded roof with 4 projecting vents in the style of curved pedimented dormers the whole surmounted by iron weathervane. A prominent landmark.

Listing NGR: SZ4956686077

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 49566 86077

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034485 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 12:44:31.

End of official listing