This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BAXTERLEY CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAXTERLEY CHURCH

List entry Number: 1034739

Location

BAXTERLEY CHURCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Baxterley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309173

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BAXTERLEY SP29NE 1/81 Baxterley Church 25/03/68 - II Church; dedication unknown. Chancel of c.1200. Nave possibly C14, with C16/C17 west front, but otherwise very largely rebuilt and north aisle, vestry and porch added c.1875 by Paull and Bickerdike. Various sandstones. Chancel and nave east wall mostly of coursed squared rubble. Nave, aisle, vestry and porch of regular coursed stone. Timber framed porch has rendered infill. Plain-tile roofs have coped gable parapets, with trefoiled gablet kneelers to nave and aisle and cross finials. Chancel, nave with west bell turret, north aisle and porch, north vestry. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has C19 north-east and south-east buttresses; remains of old south buttress. C19 triple east lancets. Round-arched slit window to south. Restored C15 south low-side window is unglazed, with bars and C19 shutter. Vestry has 3-light straight-headed east window with re-set C15 trefoiled ogee heads. North gable. Chamfered round-arched north doorway has blind tympanum and hood mould, and plank door. Octagonal stack with open turret in angle of vestry, nave and aisle. Nave is off axis to the south. East wall has C19 window with cusped Y-tracery, with some C19 masonry above. South side has three C19 buttresses. Window with cusped Y-tracery. Trefoiled western lancet. West front has square C17 bell turret. 2 buttresses have offsets with ogee gablets and upper gables. Small straight-headed one-light window, between buttresses; larger blocked windows to left and right. Central upper window of 2 round-arched lights with string course above forming a hood. Smaller round-arched lights to left and right. Bell turret has straight-headed 2-light louvred west window and bell chamber openings. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet with simple pinnacles. C19 buttress between nave and aisle. Aisle has porch to third bay with ribbed double-leaf doors. Chamfered doorway with plank door inside. 2-light east and north-east windows have simple geometrical tracery. Central and western windows have cusped Y-tracery. Interior is plastered. Chancel has two C19 plain sedilia. C19 wagon roof. C12 chancel arch, reconstructed 1958, has fluted imposts and hood mould. North arcade of 2 chamfered orders has octagonal pillars with moulded capitals. West turret and supporting walls portrude into nave and have simple moulded round arch. C19 nave and aisle roofs. Fittings: C15 octagonal font has shields to alternate faces, C19 pews etc. C19 stained glass. Monuments: north aisle north wall: Thomas Shaw 1772. Bolection moulded panel. Nave south wail: Boultbec family 1806 etc. Triple panel and urns Turret south wall: Thomas Strong 1723. Round-arched panel in architectural frame with shield and cornice above and winged skull below, (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p87; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p26)

Listing NGR: SP2562497040

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 26
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 87

National Grid Reference: SP 25624 97040

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034739 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-May-2018 at 12:51:34.

End of official listing