GRAMER'S ALMHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1034753

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1951

Statutory Address: GRAMER'S ALMHOUSES, 6,7 AND 8, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAMER'S ALMHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034753 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 06:30:03.

Location

Statutory Address: GRAMER'S ALMHOUSES, 6,7 AND 8, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire (District Authority)

Parish: Mancetter

National Grid Reference: SP 32042 96658

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANCETTER THE GREEN SP3296 11/107 Nos. 6, 7 and 8 Gramer's 23/11/51 Almshouses GV II Almshouses; originally 6 but now 3 houses. Dated 1728. Founded by James Gramer. Some mid/late C20 alterations. Whitewashed brick with wood dentil cornice. Plain-tile roof; 3 mid/late C20 brick ridge stacks. Originally one-unit plans. One storey; 12 bays. Doors to first, fifth and ninth bays have overlights with glazing bars. No.6 on left has ribbed door; Nos. 7 and 8 have flush 4-panelled doors. Sashes throughout, with C20 sashes in 3 former doorways. All openings have painted stone or rendered lintels with keyblocks. Central slate inscription panel has painted moulded wood architrave with fluted pilasters, triglyphs and pediment with armorial device. Inscription records the erection of the building by James Gramer 'Citizen and Goldsmith of London and a native of this place' with an endowment of £2,000. Interiors not inspected. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p347; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, pl18)

Listing NGR: SP3204296658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 309200

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 118
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 347

End of official listing