West wall of former infirmary, approximately 50 metres south of Priory Farmhouse

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1034822
Date first listed:
08-Sep-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
West wall of former infirmary, approximately 50 metres south of Priory Farmhouse, Church Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of West wall of former infirmary, approximately 50 metres south of Priory Farmhouse
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 06:06:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
West wall of former infirmary, approximately 50 metres south of Priory Farmhouse, Church Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
North Warwickshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Maxstoke
National Grid Reference:
SP2348086779

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/01/2019

SP 2386 17/110

MAXSTOKE CHURCH ROAD (South side) West wall of former infirmary, approximately 50 metres south of Priory Farmhouse

(Formerly listed as West wall of former infirmary, approximately 150 metres south of Priory Farmhouse, previously listed as Remains of Tower and walls of monastic church)

08/09/61

GV II* West wall of former infirmary. Early C14. Coursed and squared sandstone. Gable roof was continued over aisles. Two storeys. First floor with window of two lights in two-centred arch with fragments of reticulated tracery. At ground floor a doorway in two-centred chamfered arch and a smaller doorway in an arch of three straight sides.

Originally part of the infirmary, north east of the priory church, to the priory of Augustinian Canons founded in 1336 by William de Clinton, Earl of Huntingdon and consecrated in 1342. Scheduled monument.

Listing NGR: SP2348086779

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
309015
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 349

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05324/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Denis True. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].