CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1034830
Date first listed:
08-Sep-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, COVENTRY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034830 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 06:38:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ALL SAINTS, COVENTRY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
North Warwickshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Fillongley
National Grid Reference:
SP 28088 87171

Details

FILLONGLEY COVENTRY ROAD SP2887 (East side) 18/24 Church of St. Mary and All 08/09/61 Saints GV II* Church. C12 chancel now mainly C15, C14 nave, C15 north chapel and C13 west tower with C15 bell stage. Coursed sandstone rubble; coursed and squared sandstone. Plain-tiled roofs with crocketed pinnacles to east gable of nave and gable end cross. Embattled west tower of 3 stages. 2 lower stages are C13. One lancet window to each stage of side wall. C15 west doorway in 4-centred arch in square head. Angle buttressing. Bell stage, C15,has in each wall two 2-light openings with foiled heads in 2-centred arches. Nave has embattled parapet. C15 clerestory of 5 windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in square head. 3, C14, windows; 2 of 3 trefoil lights in 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders, and one of 2 trefoil lights. 2 stage gable buttressing. Chancel: South wall has 2 windows, each of 3 lights and a C15 doorway in 4-centred arch in square head. East window of 3 trefoil lights in moulded 2-centred arch. North chapel: C15. Embattled parapet. 2 windows in north wall of 3 trefoil lights in 4-centred arches. 2 stage buttressing with offsets. Interior: South doorway to nave, C14. 2 hollow and roll moulded orders in 2-centred arch with label and mask stops. C13 tower arch of 3 chamfered orders in 2-centred arch. Original gable end of roof visible in west wall of tower. C19 roof boarded. Braced tie beams. Chancel arch 2-centred and of 2 wave moulded orders. The chancel has a C19 roof of wind braced through purlins. North chapel C15. 2 bays open to chancel. 2-centred arches of 2 hollow moulded orders on octagonal column with moulded capital and base. Original roof with moulded ridge tie beams and purlins. Carved bosses at intersections. Font, C15. Stone. Round bowl with vertical ribs dividing the panels. Wall monument, north wall of chancel. Mrs. Daniel and daughter, 1725. White marble tablet with grey marble fluted ionic pilasters and crest. Chest. Oak. 1729. Oak with iron fittings. Gift of Geo. Aley of Black Hall, Fillongley. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p294; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV)

Listing NGR: SP2808887171

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308929
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947)
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 294

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10869/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sylvia Martin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].