Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034875.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:15:30.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Rugby (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 38650 74533


RYTON ON DUNSMORE CHURCH ROAD SP37SE East side) 4/43 Church of St. Leonard 06/10/60

- II*

Church. C11 nave and chancel. C15 tower. Altered and vestry with gallery above added 1812. Porch rebuilt Cl9. Nave and chancel of squared coursed sandstone; east wall rebuilt in ashlar; mid/late C20 ashlar patching throughout. Tower of limestone ashlar. Nave east gable and south porch of brick. Late C20 tile roofs have coped gable parapets; nave has simple moulded kneelers. Vestry and gallery of English bond brick. Slate lean-to roof. Nave, chancel, north vestry and gallery, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has splayed plinth to east. Diagonal buttresses of 2 offsets. 3-light east window has C19 Perpendicular tracery. Leaded lights throughout. Late C11 Romanesque north-east window has shafts with cushion capitals and large roll moulding. Narrow C12 north-west lancet. C19 straight-headed traceried 3-light south-east window. Blocked arch of C11 window. C16 two-light chamfered mullioned south-west window. Porch has round-arched doorway with keystone and late C20 part-glazed doors. Gable has stone coping. C11 Romanesque doorway inside has shafts with cushion capitals and large roll moulding. C16 four-panelled door has applied ribs. Diocletian window of c.1812 above porch has brick arch. Large C15 straight-headed Perpendicular nave south-east window. Blocked C11 window. 2-light south-west casement. Massive north buttress. Blocked C11 doorway has shaft and capital with tendrils. Straight-headed window inserted. Diocletian window above. Gallery has simple Gothick 4-centre arched casements with Y-tracery to east and west. Similar larger casement to ground floor on north side. Segmental-arched plank door to west. Perpendicular tower of 2 stages. Splayed and moulded splayed plinth. Full-height diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets to all sides. Low deeply-recessed west doorway of 3 moulded orders has old plank door and remains of hood mould. 3-light window above has renewed tracery. Clock face above. String course. Second stage has louvred 2-light bell openings with transom: the lower part is blind. All openings have hood moulds and head stops. Moulded embattled parapet with gargoyles and panelled pinnacles. Interior is plastered, except for east wall. Chancel has wagon roof, and run-out moulded tie beam. Chancel arch of 1929 of 2 chamfered orders. Nave has plastered barrel roof and two C16 tie beams with wallposts; eastern beam has carved boss. Tower arch of 2 moulded orders, the outer continuous. Gallery has plain opening to nave. Panelled breakfront balustrade. C20 organ case. Fielded 6-panelled door below. Fittings: C12 octagonal font cut back to square base. C17 oak pulpit. 2 benches have re-used late C15 panels. C17/early C18 barley-sugar twist altar rails. C19 panelled pews. Monuments: chancel east wall: Edward 30nhan 1679. White marble. Broken segmental pediment with cartouche and Composite columns. Chancel south wall: small brass of 1712 with inscription to Moses Macham, Minister. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, pp.211-212; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.391).

Listing NGR: SP3865074533


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 211-212
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 391


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09488/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].