CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1034904

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034904 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 18:04:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby (District Authority)

Parish: Church Lawford

National Grid Reference: SP 45317 76338

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP47NE 3/18

CHURCH LAWFORD Church Road (south side) Church of St. Peter

06/10/60

GV II Church. C13 and C14 origins. Rebuilt 1872 by W. Slater and R.H. Carpenter, largely at the expense of the Duke of Buccleuch. Rock-faced limestone ashlar, with ashlar plinth, quoins, buttresses and dressings. Nave and chancel have plain-tile roofs with ridge cresting; low-pitched porch and aisle lean-to roofs of lead; moulded coped gable parapets with kneelers throughout. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north porch and south organ chamber/vestry. Gothic Revival Decorated style. 2-bay chancel, 5-bay nave. Chancel has double-splayed plinth and diagonal buttresses of one offset. 5-light east window has bar tracery and hood mould with head stops. North side has 3-light window. Reticulated tracery and hood moulds with foliage or grotesque stops throughout. 2 lancets, possibly restored mediaeval work, of red sandstone have deep splayed reveals; chamfered straight-headed low-side window below western lancet. South side has 3-light window. Porch has doorway of 3 moulded orders with nook-shafts, foliage stops and ribbed double-leaf doors. Moulded straight-headed traceried 2-light windows. Continuous moulded doorway and double-leaf doors inside. Aisles have 2-light window and cinqfoiled west lancets. Clerestory has straight-headed 3-light windows. Vestry has 2-light east window. Moulded south doorway has ribbed door and hood mould. Straight-headed traceried window. South aisle has blocked early C13 round-arched doorway. Tower of 3 stages has angle buttresses with weatherings, and moulded string courses. West doorway and window within large moulded arch. Ribbed double-leaf doors in moulded arch. Elaborately carved spandrels have foliage and shields with date. 3 panels above have shields. Large 3-light window. Second stage has clock-face to north and west. Trefoiled north and south lancets. Third stage has 2-light bell-chamber openings. Corbel table and moulded embattled parapet. Square north-east stair turret has octagonal upper part rising above parapet. Small west door. Interior of chancel has rendered walls. Re-used piscina. East window has nook-shafts and hood mould. 4-bay boarded barrel roof has moulded arched braces and tie beams, and stone shield corbels. 2-bay arcade to organ chamber of 2 moulded orders with round pier and moulded half-octagon corbels. Chancel arch of 2 moulded orders, the inner with moulded half-octagon corbels. Nave has 3 bays of C14 north arcade: 2 chamfered orders and octagonal piers of alternating bands of red and cream sandstone. Carved heads to springings and east and west corbels. Trefoiled ogee piscina beneath east corbel. South arcade has more elaborate capitals and no banding. Clerestory has sill course. Tower arch has continuous outer order and inner half-octagonal responds, and 3 outer segmental-pointed chamfered orders. West window and doorway similar to exterior. Fragments of medieval tracery in south wall. South aisle has arch of 2 orders to organ chamber. Fittings: chancel has seat below south window of re-used panelling dated 1618. C17 octagonal pulpit. Simple C14 moulded octagonal font. C17/C18 communion rail of column-on-vase balusters. C19 stalls and pews. C19 oil lamps on wall brackets. Painted arms of George III. Stained glass: east window 1887; chancel south 1884 by Kempe; other late C19 and early C20 glass.

Monuments: south aisle doorway:grave slab has inscription to Thomas Evans 1612. Tower has fragments of 2 medieval coffin lids.

The church cost 5,000 pounds.

V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.148 Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.231-232 Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, p.121

Listing NGR: SP4531776338

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 308804

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 148
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981)

End of official listing