CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1034962
Date first listed:
06-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, FRANKTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1034962.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:46:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, FRANKTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Rugby (District Authority)
Parish:
Birdingbury
National Grid Reference:
SP 43230 68633

Details

BIRDINGBURY FRANKTON ROAD SP46NW (East side) 5/7 Church of St. Leonard 06/10/60 GV II Church. Mid/late C18. Enlarged, altered and gothicised 1873. Limestone ashlar with plinth, and sill course and moulded cornice to north and south sides. Apse of rock-faced, regular coursed stone with ashlar dressings. Tile roof has coped gable parapets with moulded kneelers, and ridge cresting; cupola has lead roof. Apse, nave and chancel partly in one, narthex and west cupola. Classical and Gothic Revival styles. 3 bays, with one-bay apse. Classical west front of yellow stone has 4 Tuscan pilasters and pediment surmounted by cupola. Moulded fielded 6-panelled door in moulded stone architrave with cornice. Cupola has round-arched bell openings and finial with weathervane. Polygonal apse of 1873 has splayed plinth and sill course. 2-light windows have simple plate tracery with continuous hood mould. Hipped roof has metal finial. North and south sides have 2-light chancel window with plate tracery and hood mould. Paired lancets with continous hood moulds. Narthex has small lancets, with small single light below on north side. Interior: Early English style chancel has triple shafts and stiff leaf sill frieze to apse. Elaborately painted rib vault has Christ in Majesty, angels, and patterns. Piscina and sedilia have trefoiled round arches and granite shafts. Apse arch of 2 moulded orders, the outer with shafts, the inner with colonnettes and stiff leaf and head capitals. Outer part of chancel has stiff leaf frieze. Windows throughout have attached shafts. Painted panelled deep coved and barrel vaulted roof has roof truss on colonnettes forming chancel arch. Nave has panelled crown post roof. West wall has 3 arches with gallery in upper part. Round arched double-leaf 6-panelled doors. Gallery fronts have 2 fielded panels and dentil cornice. Fittings: C18 stone font has baluster stem with gadrooned base and leaf-moulded bowl. C18 octagonal pulpit has marquetry and dentil cornice. Fielded panelled box pews. Screen, lectern, chancel stalls and altar rails of 1873. C18 carved and gilded royal arms panel on gallery. The rebuilding was at the expense of the Reverend R. Hickman. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, 1892, p.38; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.96; Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, p.38).

Listing NGR: SP4323068633

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308648
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 38
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966)
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1892), 38

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09488/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].